Friday, May 17, 2013

Benefits of going to an open campus school

      I definitely think that schools having open campuses is a good idea. When students are able to walk and eat outside or even leave around lunch time they might like school a little more, feel like it gives them more freedom and might even teach them a little bit of responsibility.
     Schools with an open campus policy may teach the students some responsibilities. Allowing kids to leave school at lunch time would make them responsible to return when lunch is over. If they didn’t return they should get either a detention or suspension unless it was excused. This rule would make the students actually want to return hence why it would teach them to be responsible. Responsibility plays a big role in people’s lives, if you’re not responsible you tend to make bad decisions and I feel that having an open campus and allowing students to leave during school hours would be one step closer to becoming responsible.
     Next, kids that attend the school would probably feel like they had more freedom if they were able to leave and walk around outside during school hours. Being locked up in a building for six hours for five days a week can get annoying. Especially when it’s a beautiful day out and all you want to do is be outside. Allowing students to do so would make them feel like they can start making more decisions for themselves. Having the freedom to go outside after sitting through a ninety minute class would probably feel great. I know that I would love it if I was allowed to do that.
Lastly, students would probably like school a tad more if they were able to leave. Leaving your school for about a half of an hour would be nice instead of sitting in the same place for six hours. If I had a car and was able to leave school during lunch I would probably enjoy coming to school a lot more. I would feel like the school trusted me to come back instead of treating me like a little kid.
     I think that when schools have open campuses it benefits their students a lot. If I went to an open campus school I would feel like I’m being taught responsibilities, being given freedom, and I wouldn’t mind school all that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment